Video: Aquarium: Twelve "NO"
Here are some of the things that a novice aquarist shouldn't do.
1. Do not leave uneaten food in the aquarium. Take a siphon and remove leftover food 10 minutes after feeding.
Marine Aquarium at Chistye Prudy
2. Do not overpopulate the aquarium. There is such a thing as "maximum biological load of the aquarium". Biological load is the level of fish waste products in the water.
Novice aquarists need to remember one simple rule: for every centimeter of adult fish, there should be 1.5 liters of water (although for some species, for example, astronotuses, you need much larger volumes). If you are new to this business, know when to stop. Before buying a new fish, check the water quality and health of your fish first.
Related article 10 naive questions for the novice aquarist
3. Don't overdo it. No monthly "general cleaning" is required for the aquarium. Just change some water once or twice a week. Clean the aquarium once a month. Do not change more than 20% of the water in one day, it can lead to disaster.
4. Don't expect scavengers to clean up your tank. Scavengers and crayfish can eat food bits that settle to the bottom of the aquarium, and this will improve the water condition. But scavengers won't clean a messy aquarium. Siphon soil at least once a week.
5. Do not purchase the aquarium itself and the fish at the same time. Buy a new aquarium and equipment, bring it home, read the instructions, set up the aquarium, connect the equipment and leave the finished aquarium for three days. Then pick up a starter fish.
6. Do not cover with a thick layer of soil. If there are no live plants in the aquarium, then the soil layer (sea or river pebbles) should not exceed 0.7 cm. If you plan to plant live plants, then the gravel layer is calculated as 2 kg per 10 liters of water. Do not forget to siphon the soil of the aquarium 1-2 times a week to remove all waste products of the fish. It does not hurt sometimes to stir the gravel with a stick, raising the dregs that the filter will suck in.
7. Take your time, be patient. Do not put too many fish in the aquarium at the same time. Get some new fish. Watch them, see how they settle into their new home, and just enjoy them! If your aquarium is dirty, clean it a little every day.
8. Do not pollute the aquarium. Before placing any object in water, make sure it is free of soap, whiteness, pesticides and other chemicals. If you want to decorate your aquarium with decorative rocks, gravel or artificial plants, make sure they don't pollute the water. Rocks and gravel can contain toxic minerals. Some artificial plants are not designed for water use. they can pollute it. You can avoid these problems by buying jewelry from specialized pet stores and checking for a safety mark on them.
9. Do not use pesticides near the aquarium. If you are using a pesticide spray on houseplants, make sure the spray does not get into the water. Fish are very sensitive to certain sprays. If a small amount of pesticide spills onto the surface of the water, it can cause serious problems.
10. Wash your hands. Hand cream, soap, cleaning products, car polish and other chemicals should not get into the water with fish. Wash your hands before placing your hands in the water and before picking up anything that will come into contact with water. Wash them with soap and then rinse thoroughly under running clean water. Wash your hands after touching the water or aquarium.
11. Do not litter the aquarium. Experienced aquarists are horrified when they see people filling a bowl or aquarium with various decorations. The fish rushes about in different directions and often hits the stones or sides of the aquarium, receiving various injuries, which in turn can lead to various diseases.
Related article Things Novice Aquarists Forget …
12. Do not add fresh water. This is a very common mistake: topping up with fresh water instead of the one that has evaporated and not pouring out some of the old water. As a result, the level of minerals in the water rises, and this can affect the health of the fish. It is necessary to pour out a certain amount of water and only after that add the settled fresh one.
Copyright © Zooclub portal (www.zooclub.ru)