Table of contents:
- Diagnostic measures
- Preventive actions
- For the export of horses outside the region (city, district):
- When importing horses from other areas:
Video: Veterinary Measures For Keeping Horses
In order to avoid the troubles associated with the disease of horses, as well as in order to prevent outbreaks of anthropozoonotic (i.e. transmitted to humans) diseases, a whole range of mandatory veterinary preventive measures must be taken when keeping horses.
The Veterinary Directorate of the Novosibirsk Region for our region provides for the following diagnostic and preventive veterinary measures when keeping horses:
1. Twice a year, double ocular malleinization of the horse head is carried out with an interval of 5-6 days (glanders diagnostics).
2. Every year (in the spring) a study of horse blood serum for glanders, leptospirosis, infectious anemia (INAN), mating disease, brucellosis is carried out (horses are examined for brucellosis when they reveal signs that give reason to suspect the presence of this disease - abortion, bursitis, withers; after 15-30 days, the serum test is repeated by serological methods for brucellosis).
- In case of a positive reaction to leptospirosis, sick animals are treated and the rest of the livestock is vaccinated.
- Animals that respond positively to brucellosis are immediately isolated and the blood serum of the entire livestock is re-examined (RA in test tubes and RAC) after 30-45 days. Horses found sick are slaughtered.
- Animals that have given positive results for infectious anemia or twice with an interval of 7-10 days with questionable results, are sent for slaughter.
- Animals recognized as sick with glanders (clinical signs, double ocular malleinization, RSK) are exterminated.
- If horses are found to have a squat (mating disease), they are destroyed.
Twice a year, 10-20% of the horse population is selectively examined by helminthic proscopic methods.
- against anthrax annually once a year, - against rabies once a year, - against influenza (stud farms, sports societies, circuses) once a year.
2. Deworming against parascariasis is carried out once a year (in spring).
Related article How to protect a horse from disease?
For the export of horses outside the region (city, district):
- 30 days before dispatch, horse blood serum is tested for glanders, brucellosis, leptospirosis, infectious anemia (INAN), breeding disease (only stallions and mares of breeding age), as well as helminthicoproscopy (if helminths are found, horses are subjected to deworming and then they are allowed export).
- Before transportation, double malleination is also carried out with an interval of 5-6 days.
- Flu vaccinations are also required (for sport and breeding horses).
- A note is made about the measures taken in the veterinary certificate.
When importing horses from other areas:
- Compulsory quarantine of horses is carried out for 30 days, during which clinical examination, thermometry, single ocular malleinization and blood serum study at INAN are carried out.
- At the end of the quarantine period, horses are subjected to a single ocular malleinization.